READING, Pa. - Hood College's Mason Wang scored 36 points but a 3-point field goal in the closing seconds gave Albright a 78-75 win over the Blazers in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
The loss was Hood's first of the year giving the Blazers an 8-1 mark overall and 1-1 in the conference.
Inside the Box Score
- Wang went 13-of-23 from the field and 7-of-9 at the free throw line.
- Michael Riley came off the bench for 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range. He had three steals.
- Evan Wang finished with 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists.
How it Happened
- With the game tied at 75-75, Hood came up empty with 16 seconds left and Samuel Majekodunmi grabbed the rebound and brought the ball up for the Lions. He came around a screen and pulled up for a 3-pointer with three seconds on the clock.
- After a pair of timeouts, an off-balance heave at the buzzer was off the mark for Hood.
- A layup by Mason Wang gave the Blazers a 63-54 lead with 9:47 left in the game. Albright followed with a 14-4 run that resulted in a 68-67 lead for the Lions with 4:22 to go on a basket by Isaiah Harris. Riley drove the lane to put Hood up 69-68 15 seconds later as the two players traded scores. Harris scored again to give the Lions a one-point lead but Riley answered with a 3-pointer to make it 72-70 in favor of Hood with 2:54 to play. After a Harris free throw, a three-point play by Evan Wang put Hood ahead 75-71 with 2:28 to go.
- Pairs of free throws by Harris and Majekodunmi tied the game with 45 seconds left.
- Hood trailed 39-37 at halftime before Mason Wang scored 23 of the Blazers' first 26 points of the second half over the opening 10:13.
- The trio of Majekodunmi, Harris and Troy Smoot combined for 68 of the Lions' 78 points. Smoot hit 8-of-11 field goals, including 7-of-9 from 3-point range on his way to 25 points. Majekodunmi finished with 23 on 7-of-11 shooting. Harris went 6-of-10 and had a double-double with 20 points and 10 boards.
- While those three players combined to shoot 66 percent, Hood limited the remainder of the Lions' roster to just 17 percent shooting (4-for-23).
- Albright shot 44 percent from 3-point range.
- Hood outrebounded the Lions 34-33.
- The two teams played relatively turnover-free basketball, combining for just 21 turnovers in the contest.
Hood looks to get back in the win column on December 29-30 at the Hampden-Sydney Classic.