HARRISONBURG, Va. - After Eastern Mennonite leveled the score at in the 88th minute, Hood College's Clay Smith gave the Blazers a 2-1 victory with a goal less than two minutes into overtime.
Inside the Box Score
- The game-winner was the senior's second of the day.
- Danny Castillo made three saves in 89 minutes before Isaac Coeto Jr. finished the game with a save in three minutes of work.
- The victory was Kenny Putnam's 50th as the head coach of the Blazers.
How it Happened
- Smith scored the first goal of the game in the 30th minute and the Blazer defense nearly finished the clean sheet.
- The Royals had mustered just three shots on goal in the first 87 minutes before Jonas Beachey tied the game at 1-1.
- Coeto turned away a shot from David Smith in the 90th minute and the Blazers' Aiden Hudon put a shot on target that was turned away by Ahmed Zaatar with less than 20 seconds left in regulation.
- After the Royals got a shot early in the first overtime, Hood reversed field and Lewis found Smith on the right side barely 30 seconds later to end the game at the 91:26 mark.
- Zaatar made 12 saves for the Royals.
- Hood held a 26-15 shot advantage in the match.
- The Blazers improved to 3-1-1 on the season, while EMU dropped to 2-4.
Hood heads to Chatham on September 14. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at the Ellis School.