FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College softball team split a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader with the Lebanon Valley Dutchmen. The Blazers fell 5-2 in the opener but were able to come back and win 6-4 in the second game.
Kaitlin Barron homered twice on the day, once in each game. Kristy Erfurdt added three hits and Kristen Scott had a home run among her two hits on the day. Kayli Paugh and Sophia Leaman both pitched complete games for the Blazers.
LVC 5, Hood 2
- The Dutchmen broke the scoring drought in the bottom of the sixth with a single from Alexa Windsor. LVC added four more runs in the inning to take a 5-0 lead.
- Barron got Hood on the board with a two-run homer but the Blazers could not complete the comeback.
- Paugh allowed six hits and four walks while striking out two, suffering the loss.
- Windsor pitched a complete game on the mound for the Dutchmen and surrendered just three hits and three walks with three strikeouts to get the win. Windsor also added an RBI single.
- Kate Whelski went 2 for 3 with an RBI to lead LVC.
Hood 6, LVC 4
- A two-run homer by Barron in the top of the fifth inning gave Hood a 5-4 lead. Scott added a solo shot in the sixth to put another run on the board for the Blazers.
- Erfurdt went 3 for 4 and Scott went 2 for 2 with two walks.
- The Dutchmen scored first in the bottom of the second with a single by Rylee Shockley that allowed Whelski to come around and score due to a fielding error.
- The Blazers responded in the third with a pair of RBI singles, one from Leaman and one from Jasmine Webster to give Hood a 2-1 edge.
- LVC answered with a three-run bottom half of the inning to take the lead back 4-2.
- The Blazers used an RBI double from Erfurdt that scored Katelyn Long in the fourth to trim the lead by a run before finishing off the scoring to win the game.
- Leaman scattered eight hits while striking out five to take the win.
- Maddie Abbot pitched five innings giving up eight hits, two walks, while striking out two. Windsor pitched the final two innings for LVC allowing two hits, striking out one.
- The games were played at Hood, but Lebanon Valley played as the home team since the contests were originally slated to be played at LVC.
- Hood is 10-10 overall and 1-3 in the MAC Commonwealth.
Hood hosts Arcadia on Friday, April 6 at 3 p.m.