PLANT CITY, Fla. - The Hood College softball team won on a walk-off single in the eighth inning to defeat Illinois College 2-1 before falling to the College of Saint Benedict 9-3 to close out the Blazers' spring break trip.
Inside the Box Scores
- Jasmine Webster reached base in six of her seven plate appearances, via five hits and a walk. She doubled twice.
- Maddie Walter had the complete game win in against Illinois and had the walk-off hit. She limited the Lady Blues to six hits and one run, striking out four.
Hood 2, Illinois College 1 (8 innings)
- Back-to-back singles by Jules Baker and Walter brought home Katelyn Long in the bottom of the eighth to break a 1-1 to and give Hood the win.
- Webster went 2 for 2 with a walk.
- Angela Acampora doubled.
- The Lady Blues took a 1-0 lead in the third inning when Sam Seggerman led off with a bunt single and stole second and third. Megan Spain laid down a bunt single to drive Seggerman in for the first run of the game.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Webster walked and moved to third on Acampora's double. Kaitlin Barron hit a two-out single through the left side of the infield to score Webster and tie the game.
- After Walter allowed the run in the third inning, she retired 16 of the final 19 batters she faced to keep Illinois College off the scoreboard.
- Savanna Brady had two hits for the Lady Blues.
- Alissa Hodge started for Illinois and allowed one run in four innings on three hits and a walk. Sydney Hood took the loss, allowing the run in the eighth. She gave up four hits and walked two.
Saint Benedict 9, Hood 3
- Saint Benedict scored six times in the final two innings to break a 3-3 tie and pull away for the win.
- Webster went 3 for 4 and doubled twice.
- Cailyn Barthlow also had three hits.
- Acampora drove in two.
- Hood trailed 3-0 heading into the fifth. Webster drove in Maddy Collins with a two-out double for Hood's first run. Acampora followed with a single that knocked in Baker and Webster to tie the game at 3-3.
- CSB reclaimed the lead in the bottom half of the inning before an error extended the inning and loaded the bases. Kate Deming cleared the bases with a triple to make it 7-3.
- Kendra Swanson put the game out of reach with a two-run single in the sixth.
- Only three runs that CSB scored were earned in the game. Madeline McBride went the distance for the Blazers, allowing 12 hits and two walks.
- Deming went 4 for 4, while Claire Boatman, Madison Mikolich and Jordyn Swoboda had two hits each.
- Ally Hjort, the second of three Saint Benedict pitchers, picked up the win. She struck out four in 2.2 innings. Grace Gilmore allowed two hits in 3.1 innings to start the game. Alex Smith pitched the seventh.
Hood, 3-3, plays its home opener on Wednesday, March 13.