FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team fell in both ends of its Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opening doubleheader to Lebanon Valley 2-0 and 3-1.
Inside the Box Scores
- Both Blazer starting pitchers threw complete games and combined to allow just one earned run. Maddie Walter pitched six shutout innings before allowing two unearned runs in the seventh. She struck out one, walked one and scattered five hits. Kiley Banks threw her first career complete game in the nightcap, allowing just one earned run. She struck out three, walked two and allowed eight hits.
- Walter had a solid day at the plate with two hits in six at-bats.
- Katelyn Long also went 2 for 6, doubled and drove in a run.
- Angela Acampora and Jordan Specht doubled.
Lebanon Valley 2, Hood 0
- Two Hood errors and a passed ball in the seventh allowed the Dutchmen to score the game's only runs.
- Kristi Langhans led off the inning with a single moved to second on a sacrifice and went to third on a passed ball. An Annie McClain fly ball was dropped in the outfield, allowing Langhans to score the first run of the afternoon for either team. Three batters later, Kate Whelski reached on an error and pinch-runner Sarah Musselman came home for an insurance run.
- Long had a two-out single in the bottom of the seventh but pinch hitter Bridget Smith was retired for the final out of the game.
- Walter retired 11 of 12 hitters to start the game, including 10 straight before running into trouble in the fourth. With runners on first and second with one out, the newcomer escaped the jam with a double play.
- She led off the bottom of the fourth with a single and moved to third on Specht's double but Lexi Windsor pitched around the runners to keep Hood scoreless.
- Windsor struck out eight and walked one in a three-hit shutout.
Lebanon Valley 3, Hood 1
- The Dutchmen scored twice in the fifth to break a 1-1 tie and went to complete the doubleheader sweep.
- After Alison Noga walked to lead off the inning, a Blazer error put runners on second and third. A Whelski sacrifice fly and a single by Langhans put LVC up 3-1.
- Hood had runners on the corners with one out in the bottom of the inning but could not push a runner home.
- Long had an RBI double in the second to drive in Cailyn Barthlow and tie the game at 1-1.
- Maddy Collins reached base twice via a hit and a walk.
- Whelski, Langhans and Rylee Shockley all had two hits for the Dutchmen.
- Musselman picked up the win with six innings of one-run ball. Windsor pitched the seventh for the save.
Hood heads to Dickinson for a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday, March 19 at 3 p.m.