Posted: Nov 16, 2019
HARRISONBURG, Va. - The Hood College women's basketball outscored Eastern Mennonite 22-11 in the fourth quarter to come from behind for a 57-52 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Marlise Newson and Mia Savoy combined for 37 points in the win.
- Newson, a freshman, filled up the box score with 18 points, eight rebounds, four assists and five steals. She went 7-of-12 shooting.
- Savoy finished with 19 points and seven boards.
- Morgan Anderson led the Blazers with 10 rebounds and four blocks. Anderson and Lauren Keeney had four steals apiece.
How it Happened
- The Blazers trailed 41-35 before Newson scored 10 of her 18 in the fourth quarter. EMU still led by 46-41 after a Lexi Deffenbaugh 3-pointer with 6:13 remaining but Newson scored six straight points to start a 12-0 run that resulted in a 53-46 lead with 1:44 left.
- The Royals pulled within 53-52 with 30 seconds on a layup by Chloe Roach. Newson was fouled with 11 seconds left and hit both foul shots to extend the lead to three. Deffenbaugh's 3-pointer at the other end was off the mark and Savoy grabbed the rebound, was fouled and hit both free throws with five seconds to play.
- Hood led 23-22 at halftime after Laura Vetter sank a free throw with 12 seconds left.
- The Blazers held a 35-31 lead midway through the third period but EMU closed the quarter with a 10-0 run to take a 41-35 lead into the final period.
- Tiffany Carey led the Royals with 14 points. Roach added 11, while Chrissy Delawder grabbed 11 rebounds.
- Hood turned 28 Eastern Mennonite turnovers into 21 points. The Blazers also held a 34-18 scoring edge in the paint.
- The Blazers are 2-0 for the first time since 2017-18. EMU fell to 0-3.
Hood hosts Goucher on November 19 at 6 p.m.