Posted: Nov 19, 2019
FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College women's basketball team remained undefeated with a 73-56 win over visiting Goucher in non-conference action.
Inside the Box Score
- Morgan Anderson and Mia Savoy scored 17 points apiece to lead the Blazers. Anderson went 8-of-14 shooting with five rebounds and five blocks. Savoy added nine rebounds and four assists.
- Lauren Keeney filled up the stat sheet with a career-high 11 rebounds to go along with five assists.
- Marlise Newson grabbed nine rebounds.
- Ebony Pitt dished out six assists.
How it Happened
- Anderson scored 10 points in the first six and a half minutes of the game as the Blazers claimed a 15-6 lead.
- Hood led 22-14 at the end of the first period before Goucher pulled within a point in the second quarter. Alayna McFadden's layup with 7:19 left in the half cut the Blazers' lead to 22-21. Savoy answered with a 3-pointer that 16-2 run for Hood. Keeney hit a pair of 3-pointers in the run as the Blazers built a 38-23 lead with 2:31 to go in the quarter.
- The Blazers led 40-28 at halftime and after a three-point play by McFadden pulled the Gophers within nine in the opening minute of the third quarter. Two layups by Anderson and another by Savoy quickly extended the lead to 46-31 with 8:53 left in the period. Goucher responded with a 10-0 run that whittled Hood's lead to just five points midway through the third. A 10-2 run later to close the quarter gave Hood a 58-45 edge heading into the final 10 minutes.
- The Blazers never allowed Goucher within 11 points during the final quarter and built their biggest lead on Sarah Meiklejohn's 3-pointer in the final seconds.
- Hood doubled Goucher's rebounding efforts 56-28, leading to a 24-3 advantage in second-chance points.
- The Blazers shot 7-of-17 (41 percent) from 3-point range, while the Gophers knocked down 5-of-13 (39 percent).
- Hood's bench outscored Goucher's 21-0.
- The 3-0 start is the Blazers' best since a 4-0 beginning in 2010-11.
Hood hosts Chatham on Saturday, November 23 at 1 p.m.