ANNVILLE, Pa. - A 99th-minute overtime stunner from Melissa Merritt lifted the Hood College Blazers to a victory against Lebanon Valley in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Merritt claimed the lone score of the game for the Blazers.
- Erin Scarborough and Cassidy O'Neill both assisted in the game-winner.
- After 99 minutes of play, Lydia Erickson recorded 19 total saves and a clean sheet.
How it Happened
- Hood's tough defense kept the game scoreless into the first half. Lebanon Valley outshot the Blazers 18-2 with Erickson stopping 10 shots.
- The second half saw The Dutchmen leading the shot count again with each of the eight on frame stopped by Erickson.
- With 4:20 left in the first overtime, Lucy McGloshen's volley was goal bound but Erickson made her 19th save of the game to keep the game scoreless.
- The Blazers' single overtime chance found the back of the net when O'Neill redirected Scarborough's corner into the path of Merritt who beat the keeper and the front post defender.
- Erickson recorded the most saves (19) since Rachel Knoebel's 20 save game in 2016.
- Merritt is now ranked 10th in all-time career points with 39 surpassing Whitney Boyer.
- Hood extends their record to 10-3-1, the first time since 2009 that the Blazers have won ten games.
- This marks the first time in eight tries that Hood has defeated Lebanon Valley.
- It is the best start in conference play since 2006 as the Blazers start 2-0.
- Serena Donmoyer registered a save for the Dutchmen.
The Blazers look to keep the streak going on Tuesday, October 15 when they host Stevenson in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.