HARRISONBURG, Va. - The Hood College volleyball team dropped both ends of a non-conference tri-match at Eastern Mennonite. The Blazers fell to the hosts 3-0 before falling to Lancaster Bible 3-1.
- EMU won 25-14, 25-15, 25-12.
- Lancaster Bible won 25-12, 20-25, 25-6, 25-15.
Inside the Box Scores
- Tailyn Kite had nine total kills between the two matches to lead Hood.
- Emma Elizondo's six kills against the Chargers were the most for a Blazers in either match and she finished the tri-match with eight total kills.
- Shane Simms had four kills in each match for eight total and had three blocks.
- Robyn Reus had 13 digs in each match to finish with 26 for the afternoon.
- Kameron Crawford had 22 total assists, with Ashley Williams ending the day with 14.
Eastern Mennonite 3, Hood 0
- Reus served up an ace early in the first set to pull Hood within one, 4-3, before the Royals rattled off seven consecutive points for an 11-3 edge. The Blazers pulled within 12-7 before EMU pulled away for a 25-14 win.
- In the second set, a service ace by Tailyn Kite cut the Blazers' deficit to 8-6 but Eastern Mennonite again answered with a run. Sarah East capped a 10-0 run with a pair of aces of her own for an 18-6 EMU lead.
- The third set saw a 3-0 spurt from Hood bookended by a pair of 6-1 runs from the Royals, resulting in a 12-5 lead midway through. The Blazers pulled within six several times before an 8-1 run by Eastern Mennonite finished the match.
- EMU's Hannah Johnson had a match-high 12 kills. Amy Goodman had five total blocks and three aces. Tori Wigley dished out 17 assists.
- Taylor Schaefer led Hood with five kills.
Lancaster Bible 3, Hood 1
- Three Chargers had exactly 10 kills to lead a balanced attack that saw LBC hit .333 for the match.
- After dropping the first set, Hood trailed 4-2 in the second set before going on a 6-0 run that featured two aces by Williams and two kills apiece by Kite and Simms. The Chargers would tie the set at 9-9 but the Blazers rattled off seven points in a row for a 16-9 edge. LBC stormed back again and tied the set at 20-20 on a kill by Emma Thomann. Hood regrouped and scored the final five points of the set to even the match at 1-1.
- The momentum did not carry over to the next set, however, as Lancaster Bible scored the first eight points and cruised to the win. LBC opened the fourth set with a 13-5 run to put the match away.
- Thomann, Bekah Roberts and Kate Smoker each had 10 kills for the Chargers. Allison Shuey finished with 40 assists, four aces and 12 digs.
Hood opens Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action at Messiah on September 11.